Greetings, dear reader! Today I want to share with you information – how to reduce the size of several jpg files, without loss of quality.
Modern digital cameras are able to take pictures in high resolution. And the file with the photo is 5-15 megabytes. If you reduce the weight of the photo without loss of quality before publication on the network, you will increase the speed of their download to the Internet and on the pages of the site.
Why do that? The size of modern digital images by the number of pixels is much larger than the size of the screens of our monitors. Most often, the size of the screen users following 1280×1024 =1310720 pixels; 1366×768 = 1049088 pixels. As you can see from the calculations it is a little more than one megapixel, and modern cameras take pictures from 1 to 20 megapixels. But to view a photo the size of 1 megapixel on the screen is enough.
By the way, you can reduce the size of the photo in the online editor PIXLR.
Conclusion: when downloading to the Internet services of social networking sites, they will still be reduced in size, and the extra megabytes transferred to the Internet are your money for traffic thrown to the wind.
Riot-a program to reduce the size of graphics files
Photo processing program (RIOT) is a free application that will allow you to visually adjust the compression settings while maintaining the minimum file size. Using a dual view and a single interface, you can compare the original and the optimized image and see the resulting file size immediately.
RIOT photo processing software is easy to use, but powerful enough for advanced users. It is easy to control compression, number of colors, image format (JPEG, GIF or PNG) for your output file. RIOT can be integrated as a plug-in known programs like GIMP, IrfanView and XnView.
How to reduce jpg file size with Riot photo processing software
- allows you to reduce the weight of the photo;
- open many image types including rare, as well as Adobe Photoshop PSD;
- save and optimize JPEG, GIF and PNG in a simple, easy-to-use user interface;
- work in double window: (original – optimized image) or single view (optimized image).
- automatic preview of the resulting image
- in place compare function (alternativelly display the original image over the optimized image to notice small pixel changes)
- compress the file to the desired size;
- fast processing;
- batch processing (processing multiple files at the same time)
- transparency processing options
- the ability to keep metadata (comments, IPTC, Adobe XMP, EXIF profiles, ICC profiles).Unsupported metadata is removed;
- transfer metadata between image formats (destination format must support them);
- common tools: pan and zoom, rotate, mirror;
- basic image settings: brightness, contrast, gamma, inversion;
- visual decrease in the number of unique colors for PNG and GIF images to reduce file size;
- resize image by using well-known filters (ex: Lanczos3, Catmull Rom, Bicubic, and others.)
- compression and results are comparable to commercial products, even higher.
How to work in the Riot program?
The program has an English interface, but it will not affect your interaction with it. Everything is intuitively clear. Watch the video below.
How to reduce jpg file size at once a lot
In RIOT you can perform batch processing of several photos, which is very convenient for a large number of processed images. For batch processing, we need to create a folder for compressed photos. And then press the Batch button. Get the dialog box to reduce the weight of the photo
- In the menu of Additional tasks select Resize (resize). We set the desired width of the photo, put a tick to proportionally reduce the size of the image.
- Select the folder with the source photos (see figure)
- Specify the folder for compressed images
- Press the Start button and wait for the end of processing.
- After processing, your photos will be compressed according to the specified parameters. Now you can use them to download to the Internet.